This page contains brief information about abiraterone acetate and a collection of links to more information about the use of this drug, research results, and ongoing clinical trials.
Use in Cancer
Abiraterone acetate is approved to be used with prednisone to treat:
- Prostate cancer that has metastasized (spread to other parts of the body). It is used:
- In patients whose disease is castration resistant (has not responded to treatments that lower testosterone levels).
- In patients whose disease is high-risk and castration sensitive (has responded to treatments that lower testosterone levels).
Abiraterone is also being studied in the treatment of other types of cancer.
More About Abiraterone Acetate
MedlinePlus Information on Abiraterone Acetate – A lay language summary of important information about this drug that may include the following:
- warnings about this drug,
- what this drug is used for and how it is used,
- what you should tell your doctor before using this drug,
- what you should know about this drug before using it,
- other drugs that may interact with this drug, and
- possible side effects.
Drugs are often studied to find out if they can help treat or prevent conditions other than the ones they are approved for. This patient information sheet applies only to approved uses of the drug. However, much of the information may also apply to unapproved uses that are being studied.